Three Wise Men & A Baby, The Royal Nanny, #XMAS, Haul out the Holly, A Shoe Addict’s Christmas – these are just a handful of the Hallmark Holiday Movie titles we’ve been binging this holiday season. Despite their names, each of these movies shares a key attribute and formulaic approach which ultimately serves to entertain and amuse, and oftentimes, illicit a bit of eye-rolling at the predictability. And as implausible as some seem, their popularity is undeniable. From my 14-year-old daughter to my husband and my mom, these movies are a crowd-pleaser for any generation.
At Coyne PR, we’ve been inspired by the cheesy-yet-heartwarming plots of Hallmark holiday movies to bring you our take on what these beloved stories can teach us about public relations. Coyne PR’s observations can be used as inspiration, perhaps to help you achieve success in your professional endeavors, and maybe even your personal ones – just like the characters in these stories did. From awkward yet successful networking to navigating family drama, here are five Coyne PR learnings from Hallmark holiday movies:
- Don’t be afraid of the unknown. In many (I mean, ALL) of these films, the main characters find themselves taking a risk and trying something new. Whether it’s learning a new skill or finding their passion in an unexpected place, they always seem to seize opportunities that come their way. Similarly, embracing unfamiliar territory is important when it comes to public relations as well – like trying out a different type of content, taking on a new project, or exploring a fresh approach to media relations.
- Networking is key. Whether it’s talking to a neighbor at the holiday party, finding common ground with someone from another field, or getting help from an unexpected ally, these characters always find ways to connect with others and leverage their relationships for success, even if they started out as “frenemies” or outright rivals. Similarly, networking is essential in PR – building relationships with media, influencers and even potential clients can open doors and create opportunities that wouldn’t have been available otherwise.
- Never give up hope. These movies are full of protagonists who never lose faith that things will work out in the end – even when faced with seemingly insurmountable odds or struggles that seem too hard to overcome. This same attitude is key for PR professionals as well – don’t give up when you encounter a roadblock or setback – despite all odds, keep pushing forward with your goals.
- Get creative with solutions. In many of these films, the main characters come up with clever ideas and out-of-the-box solutions to problems they face. Though many of these are absolutely absurd, we can still use this lesson in public relations: think outside the box and get creative with your strategies to achieve success.
- Know when it’s time to move on. The characters in Hallmark holiday movies often make difficult decisions – like leaving their current job or taking a break from relationships that aren’t working out – that ultimately lead them to find true happiness in the end. Similarly, sometimes in PR it’s necessary to know when to move on. If one media outlet is ghosting you, try another. When an idea isn’t working, acknowledge it’s time to pivot and grab a team of colleagues to brainstorm a new direction. Focus your efforts where they can really make a difference.
This said, the next time you sit down for a binge-fest, keep in mind that these Hallmark holiday movies are more than just mindless entertainment – they can be valuable life and work lessons that can help us all succeed in our professional endeavors. And who knows – maybe you’ll even find your own happily ever after! So, sit back, relax, and enjoy whichever Hallmark Movie is on when you finish reading this piece!